Dear STL Family,
Traditionally, November is a month of remembrance ~ the month when the Church remembers her dead. We kicked off this month with many parish families celebrating All Hallow's Eve (Halloween) in creative, non-traditional ways. We celebrated "The Day of the Dead" ~ All Saints Day and All Souls Day with a greater awareness of all the saints around us, and in a special way, our family and friends who have died, especially those who have passed in the previous year.
As we move closer to the Advent and Christmas seasons, we become more aware of others' needs this time of year. Please consider supporting these important outreach efforts:
- COLLECTION FOR NATIONAL NEEDS: Next weekend has been designated for the 2020 Collection for National Needs. This collection supports the Black and Indian Missions, the Catholic Home Missions, the Catholic Communica-tion Campaign, the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, and the Catholic University of America. Special envelopes will be available to you.
- THE GIVING TREE and ST. NICK'S HOLIDAY CRAFT FAIR: It's my hope that we as a parish will be able to keep these two annual holiday projects alive in some creative way. We've got a couple of ideas and I'll keep you posted. I'm open to your thoughts!
For a little levity, here are a few days of observance in November that two elementary school-aged children in our parish wanted me to share with you:
- November 6: National Nacho Day
- November 8: National Dunce Day
- November 10: National Vanilla Cupcake Day
- November 11: National Sundae Day
- November 13: Sadie Hawkins Day
- November 14: Loosen Up, Lighten Up Day
- November 15: National Pickle Day
On a serious note, these free events are designed to nourish your hearts and souls:
- SURVIVING THE HOLIDAYS: If you are divorced or separated and anticipate needing additional support during the holiday season, The Office for Family Life & Spirituality at the Diocese of San Diego invites you to join us on Tuesday, Nov. 17 from 7:30-9:00 pm over Zoom. This program will allow us to share our emotions, challenges, and hopes for the upcoming holiday season. Contact Janelle Peregoy at [email protected] for more information or to register for this event which is also offered in Spanish on a different day.
- ADVENT NIGHTS: The Diocese of San Diego welcomes families to Advent Nights: Rituals for the Domestic Church. This virtual program will explore traditions that invite Jesus into our homes during this season of hope. Please join us on Monday, Nov. 16 & Nov. 23 from 7:00-8:30 pm over Zoom. To register, please contact Nora at [email protected] or at (858) 490-8299.
With a very grateful heart,